Of all the water filter options, a countertop water filter is a good place to start to ensure you and your family keep a healthy lifestyle.
Countertop filters make tap water safe for consumption by removing water pollutants such as heavy metals and pathogens
What Is A Countertop Water Filter?
Countertop water filters stand out from other water filtration solutions because they are really simple and compact in size. They are easy to install and do not require any kind of expertise.
This type of water filters come with their own faucet that drains into the sink. This makes them portable and ideal for small spaces, especially for renters.
How A Countertop Waterfilter Works?
Countertop filters are really simple to install as all you need is to attach your filter’s tubing to your kitchen faucet with a diverter connector and you are ready to go.
Different countertop filters use various filtration systems. The most common filter system is by running water through a series of layers ranging from coarse to fine order, depending on functionality.
When you turn your tap on, water goes through the tubing, through the filter layers and out of the dedicated faucet.
The diverter lets water comes out of your regular faucet or lets water goes through the filter with a switch.
Who Will Need A Countertop Water Filter?
This is an ideal option for renters and people who are looking to save on space. Countertop filters are easy to install and do not require any permanent changes to your plumbing system.
A safe and pure water option is important because tap water is considered unsafe. An effective water filter is one of the easiest ways to keep a healthier lifestyle for any home type.
Countertop filters are convenient. They are easy to maintain and can be installed by anyone. If you are looking for an affordable and quick solution, this may work well for you.
BEST COUNTERTOP WATER FILTERS
Whichever filtration system you prefer, they all come with pre-assembled and always look for bonus features such as industry standard certifications and installation hardware.
1. Apex Countertop Water Filter – MR Series
1.1. APEX- MR1050 Countertop Drinking Water Filter
Improve your way of living with the Apex MR-1050 water filter that purifies water and protects you from pathogens.
This is a five step filtration system that can remove several contaminants that include arsenic, copper, aluminum, chlorine odors, among others. Additionally, it can filter Cryptosporidium, Giardia cysts and other micro-organisms that cause water-borne illnesses.
It’s practical design that takes very little space on the counter.
The filter makes water healthier by balancing its alkalinity. As water flows through two of the filtering stages, calcium, magnesium, potassium
This water filter unit is simple to install and easy to use. It comes with its own installation hardware, saving you a trip to the hardware store.
It also fits to standard home faucets which is convenient.
APEX- MR1050 provides a high volume of 750 gallons and the filter takes roughly a year before you need to replace it.
- Fits all standard size faucets making installation a breeze.
- Compact design that takes considerably small counter space.
- Easy to install even for non-handy and older people.
- It’s costly to replace filters.
- Grows algae in the top part of the filter when exposed sunlight.
- Hard to separate the base from the housing unit when changing out filters.
1.2. APEX MR-1030 Countertop Water Filter
Apex MR-1030 is a 3-stage filtration system that removes toxins from water and is perfect for any household size.
Rather than just remove most toxins from water, this filter also adds lots of beneficial minerals that improve health. It makes life a little easier when you have clear, safe and delicious water.
Apex MR-1030 removes hundreds of contaminants, harmful micro-organisms and heavy metal with KDF-55 technology.
It has a coconut shell activated carbon filter that eliminates chlorine and its odor, it also Lowers acidity using calcite for improved health benefits.
The filter unit sits right on your counter which is easy to install and meets all plumbing codes.
The filter cartridge lasts up to six months and can be swapped with any standard 10 inch filter parts.
- Minimal design that saves on countertop space.
- Very easy to install with a high flow rate.
- The replacement filter lasts long and can serve a house hold of four for roughly a year.
- Apex does not specify what percentage of toxins are filtered after running water through the MR-1030.
1.3. APEX MR-1010 Countertop Drinking Water Filter
Contrary to the popular belief, getting clean drinking water should not cost you an arm and a leg in buying bottled water. The Apex MR-1010 water is a great economical water filtration system that removes sediments and other contaminants such as chlorine and radon.
It is inclusive of a hardware installation and a wrench that makes it easy to setup.
Every Apex MR-1010 is sanitized before boxing for safety assurance. It is made in the US from the best material and is NSF and FDA approved.
The improved screw and
This water filter unit has a 750 gallon capacity and fits a standard faucet.
- Made to superior quality relative to other brands in the market.
- Makes even the smelliest water taste crisp and fresh.
- Durable and can handle constant high water pressure.
- Several reported leakages from the spout and bottom of the unit.
- Takes a while to pour water as it cuts down.
2. APEC Portable Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
Though it comes with a bulkier storage unit than other countertop filters in this list, it is a
APEC RO-CTOP works for all standard faucets which makes it easy to install. It also comes with connectors so all you have to do is hook it up to your faucet.
It is small in size and has a compact design that is easily portable.
This water filter system from APEC water has a high flow rate of up to ninety gallons of water a day.
This water filter unit has a standard sized 10” filter that is durable and doesn’t easily get clogged.
The first and second stage filter elements can last up to a year depending on the size of your household.
For the reverse osmosis membrane, it can last anywhere between 2 and 5 years. You
- You can buy the unit with an enclosure that is beautifully designed and can fit well with most kitchen décor.
- Leaves water clean and pure with no aftertaste.
- Easy to understand manual and great customer service.
- Does not come with a storage tank.
- Expensive compared to other brands with similar units.
3. New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filter System
Tap water may look clear and clean but be unsafe for human consumption. The Wave Enviro Water Filter is made that your water is safe and all contaminants are below minimal EPA conditions.
The filter features a ten-stage filtration system that is effective and safe.
At stages 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10, water passes through micron filter pads that remove large contaminants, for example, sediments.
Water goes through chemical filtering for the rest of the stages. This involves activated carbon that gets rid of chloramines and its odor. Ion exchange and KDF-55 absorb heavy metals and other toxins such as pesticides and herbicides.
It is multipurpose. You can attach it to your faucet or mount it under the sink using a conversion kit that is sold separately.
New Wave Enviro 10 stage is a heavy duty filter with a 1500 gallon capacity that can last a family of four up to a year without replacing the filter.
It has a calcite mineral stage that infuses water with beneficial minerals like potassium and calcium.
- Excellent performance in removing foul chemical smell and taste.
- Great customer service. After purchase, you are sent email reminders to keep track of your filter usage and when it’s up for replacement.
- Below par construction quality materials. The plastic housing can crack under pressure leaving you at risk of your house flooding.
- It is not NSF/WQA certified which can be a concern for buyers.
4. Ecosoft Countertop Drinking Water Filter System
This countertop water filter is designed and manufactured in Europe and it uses a highly functional filtration system to eliminate different kinds of water impurities. Its ease of use sets it apart from other options in the market and below are some of its most salient features.
The filter has a capacity of 1500 gallons and comes with an installation package that is convenient to use.
It is easy to install using a simple 6-step DIY manual as well as a seal and ring that is included to make the task simple and stress-free.
- Easy to install.
- Has a high flow rate and the water tastes delicious.
- Installation hardware is not standard to all faucets.
5. Home Master TMJRF2 Jr F2 Counter Top Water Filtration System
This is an exceptional countertop water filter that uses a reverse osmosis system to remove up to 93% chlorine, arsenic, and other water contaminants.
One of its most endearing features is that it is small in size and easily portable when on the go.
The filter has a three-stage filtration system that removes heavy metals and chemical water pollutants.
Home Master TMJRF2 Jr F2 Elite removes fluoride from water, a feature that not most filtration systems have.
The compression disks that ensure even filtration, an improved design compared to other granular filter.
This filter unit comes in a convenient size that can fit just about any countertop.
An. it’s lightweight and easy to install.
- Ideal for travel and outdoor activities.
- Small and compact design.
- Makes water taste amazing.
- Filter elements are hard to replace.
6. CleanWater4Less® Countertop Water Filtration System
This is an efficient water filtration solution that is kind to your pocket and hassle free.
The CleanWater4Less filtration system is a five step process with three different types of filters and one active ingredient. It is a good option if you are looking for a simple solution to purify municipal water.
This filter uses Granular Activated Carbon in its main stage of filtration. This is effective in removing chlorine, foul smells and other toxins.
It has a fiber and microfiber layer that traps contaminants such as radon, sulfide, lead and other kinds of impurities.
The filter unit comes with a diverter that you simply attach to your faucet and installation is done. It also fits standard faucets and comes with a variety of adapters, making it multipurpose.
CleanWater4Less countertop water filter has a capacity of 10,000 gallons and fixed filter cartridges that do not need maintenance.
- Requires no tools to install and the auto-switching feature from your normal faucet to the filter makes it more convenient to use.
- Does not require any filter change, keeping maintenance at the bare minimum.
- Does not have any kind of indicator on water consumption.
- Since it has an irreplaceable cartridge, you have to get a new one unit when its lifespan is over.
- Does not filter pathogens and dissolved toxins, which may be unsuitable if these are the contaminants you wish to remove.
7. iSpring CKC1C Countertop water filter
This is a small, affordable water filter that assures you clean water straight from your tap. It filters 95% of tiny particles in water and eliminates bad odors.
iSpring CKC1C Countertop water filter features a portable design that is perfect for outdoor activities and traveling.
It is unique for its outer housing that is clear see-through and lets you check for when the filter needs to be replaced. The clear housing makes for an interesting design.
The filter has a 5-micron carbon block cartridge that can remove 95% of silt, rust, sediments and other harmful water contaminants such as herbicides and chemical waste.
The carbon filter improves the water taste by removing foul taste and smell, carbon filters are of standard size and universally replaceable.
- Works well in small spaces.
- Is made to fit standard faucets.
- Easy to install and comes with installation hardware.
- Has low capacity but can work great as a secondary filter for your drinking water.
- Prone to leaks if not well installed.
8. Aquasana Countertop Water Filter System
Get clean, safe and tasty water straight from your tap with the innovative Aquasana countertop water filter.
It filters water under pressure and is specially made to remove foul odor, contaminants, improve the taste and health benefits of water.
This countertop water filter is really easy to use and all you need for installation, is to attach the diverter to your sink tap and you are ready to go.
The Aquasana countertop water filter uses three filtration systems to remove 97% chlorine and is NSF certified to get rid of 76 other contaminants including lead and harmful pharmaceuticals.
It has a twin cartridge that when used with the carbon, ion exchange and sub-micron filters, cleans water under high pressure for more effective results.
This unit uses Selective Clayrum filtration that leaves healthy Totally Dissolved Solids (TDS). These include magnesium, calcium and potassium.
It filter with 450 gallons capacity, which lasts up to six months in the average household. One complete filter use can save up to 4000 plastic water bottles.
- Leaves water with an amazing taste.
- Has an upgraded design that stops leakages from the bottom of the unit.
- Easy to maintain.
- Can only be used with cold water.
- Frequent reports of swivel collar leaks from buyers.
9. Brondell H630 H2O+ Cypress Countertop Water Filter System
Brondell H630 is the only countertop Cypress water filtration system reviewed here. It is an advanced filter system that will deliver great performance rival to complex under-sink water filters.
It uses a three-stage filtration system that not only takes out toxic minerals but also filters dangerous microorganisms and organic compounds.
Water goes through a composite plus filter during stage 1 of the filtration process which removes sediments and fine particles.
The second stage is the Nanotrap filter that is patented and unique to the Brondell H630 unit. It filters inky water to fresh and crisp and eliminates harmful chemicals and microorganisms.
The final stage is the carbon block filter that eliminates, water pollutants, chlorine and fouls smell.
It’s tubing fits standard faucets and is easy to install.
The countertop water filter comes with a push button control for dispensing water.
- Allows for continuous water flow, reducing wastage as compared to reverse osmosis systems.
- Easy to install.
- The push down button is faulty after a short while in most units.
- High maintenance as the filters need regular replacement.
10. NU Aqua Platinum Series Premium Countertop Water Filtration System
The NU Aqua Platinum Series has a seven-step filtration system that is more complicated than most countertop sinks.
Water from the tap goes through pre-filters, followed by a reverse osmosis membrane, before going through the carbon filter.
This NU Aqua countertop water filter uses reverse osmosis to demineralize your water of harmful contaminants such as copper, iron, zinc and other heavy metals. Additionally, water is sterilized with UV that is effective in killing 99% of pathogens that cause water-borne diseases.
The seven-step filtration system in the NU Aqua Platinum Series is made up of UV, sediment and carbon filters as well as three pre-filters.
The HydraCoil technology makes water filtered through this unit 50% cleaner compared to other water filters.
It’s activated coconut carbon filter has a permeable membrane that improves
This water filter unit has an ergonomic design that is compact. It has layers of polypropylene to keep water safe and a silicon ring at the top that stops leakages under high heat.
- Comes with a comprehensive installation guide in the form of a DVD that is easy to follow.
- Great customer service.
- Comes with a free text kit that you can use for quality assurance.
- Removes fluoride, a feature that most water filters do not have.
- Can be difficult to install.
- Only works with faucets that have removable aerators.
- Valve do not come in standard size.
What Is The Best Countertop Water Filter System?
There are lots of water filter systems and this makes it a task to look for one that you like and fits you.
Before you get overwhelmed, here are a few pointers on what to look for and how to narrow down your choices to the best one for you.
The easiest place to start when looking for a water filter for your home is the capacity of the unit you wish to buy.
Not to be confused with the filter life, this refers to how many people the filter you intend to purchase can serve.
Countertop filters offer more volume than pitchers and
This is because larger systems are more effective in removing contaminants from larger water supplies without slowing the water’s flow rate.
Fit Your Needs
Before going out to purchase a filter, find out what is in your tap water.
You can test with a water test kit or ask your water supplier for detailed information. This is because water filters are designed to filter specific contaminants that need to suit
At a minimum, countertop water filters are made to filter chlorine and make your water taste better. The best rule of thumb is to look for a countertop filter that removes at least 90% of all contaminants in your water.
That said, always ensure the filter comes with an NSF certification as this is the only way to validate a manufacturer’s removal claim before purchase.
Ease Of Use
Countertop filters are really easy to install and require low maintenance. However, there are some that are simpler than others, hence easier to maintain.
All countertop water filtration systems use filter elements that do require you to replace them. This is easy to do and the filter’s lifespan is usually indicated on the product.
Budget is important when buying anything, even a water filter. A countertop water filtration system runs for as low as $20 to $1000. This is considerably cheaper than large whole house water filter systems.
Added to the initial cost, is a maintenance expense in filter replacement that you should consider before making your final decision. Paying more does not always mean better and you should therefore do in-depth research and get one that is affordable but matches your requirements.
Size & Design
With all the above in mind, determine where your water filter will sit so as to buy one of appropriate size. Countertop filters are generally small but there are some that would not be considered portable.
Lastly, keep aesthetics in mind. Though it may not be essential, countertop filters can be an eye sore unless you find one that matches to your décor.
Truly, there is no one size fits all when it comes to the right countertop water filter since all models are made to remove specific pollutants.
Once you know what’s in your water, it is easy to choose a model that is effective and works for you.
Clean water is a basic need of life and should be accessible to all. Unsafe drinking water is estimated to cause 502 000 diarrhoeal deaths each year and has long term negative effects on our societies (WHO Feb 2018).
Keep your families safe and enjoy clean, healthy tap water from the comfort of your home using any of the countertop filter systems above.
Best Countertop Water Filters – Top 12 Reviews & Buying Guide
- What Is Countertop Water Filter
- How A Countertop Water Filter Works
- Who Will Need A Countertop Water Filter
- Top 12 Best Countertop Water Filters
- Buying Guide